The Daily Bullets are brought to you by Hoboken Coffee: Get 20% off your first order.
Three Four Thoughts
• Our minds are still adjusting 15 months in but I think you have to go into every week just salivating over an eyeful of terrific Oklahoma State Cowboy defense every week.
The (Cowboy) defense has risen to the challenge and then some. The Cowboys are 10th in defensive SP+, forcing three-and-outs on 43% of drives (ninth), and ranking 11th in stuff rate (run stops at or behind the line) and 17th in sack rate. They push you backward, tilt the field and outlast you.
• I have a hard time thinking that OSU loses this game if Jaylen Warren outrushes Breece Hall.
• Going into today’s game, it’s fun to think about this comment from early last week:
OSU’s 32-24 victory over Texas on Saturday made a Bedlam Big 12 Championship Game much more likely.
• I’m not sure what happened between Mike Gundy’s old rolling five year contract and the one announced yesterday but it seems like good news
It seems like the implication is that he likely wasn’t extended after last season and it changes from a five-year rolling contract to a standard four-year deal. After he clearly exceeded expectations this year, he’s got to be back on the five-year-plus one train.
• If you’ve been reading predictions on today’s game, here is some solid context.
• This is a pretty crazy number on Iowa State being a touchdown favorite against the No. 8 Pokes:
The Cyclones are the first unranked team favored by at least a touchdown over a top 10 team since USC was -8 against Notre Dame in 1998.
• How do you put OSU’s season and Iowa State’s (losing to Iowa and Baylor) into a machine and give OSU a 21.8 percent chance of winning today?
ESPN’s FPI gives OSU just a 21.8% chance of winning.
Most Viewed of the Week
• No. 1 OSU a big underdog against Iowa State
• No. 2 10 Thoughts on the Texas Win
• No. 3 Gundy dances in Austin
• No. 4 Kickoff time, TV details set for Iowa State game
• No. 5 Jordan Williams re-commits to OSU
• A pastor embraces slowness (not faith-based)
• The illusion of scale
• The Chickasaw Nation is opening a new resort in OKC on the river
How can you not be romantic about sports.
The post Daily Bullets (Oct. 23): We’ll Cross Iowa State’s Goal and Sing Oklahoma State appeared first on Pistols Firing.